For those of you that know me well know that Mother's Day is my least favorite holiday. I use the word holiday loosely. For me, Mother's Day is a reminder that as a mother, I do not have all my children with me. Mother's Day at church is even worse since most of the block revolves around mother's and daughter's. I LOVE being a mother but ever since loosing Chandler I have had rough time during Mother's Day. To remedy this, we have spent probably 7 of the past 10 Mother's day's out of town, just our nuclear family, together. This past weekend we spent in Kansas City. We drove down to Liberty Mo. and Independence Mo. which both have church history sites to visit. We visited the Independence visitor Center, which was small but nice to learn more about what the saints went through during the time they spent there. Then we headed up to Liberty jail. We had recently been learning about what happened there during Relief Society and talking about it with the boy's. For those of you who don't know much about Joseph Smith's time there, he was wrongly charged and jailed with 4 other saints for 4 months. They spent from Dec. 1st and the 4 coldest months following in the basement of this jail, which by the way after it was a jail they used as an ice house because it stays so cold!!! The spirit was strong and testified to all of us the truthfulness of the gospel. The things that the saints went threw so that we could have the restored truth was amazing!
.JPG)
Here are the boys outside of the Independence Mo. visitor center.
.JPG)
Ian and Carter pretending to drive the wagon in the kids play area.
.JPG)
A nice family picture in front of the
Chirstus.
.JPG)
Preston checking out all the different Books of Mormon, written in all different languages. He even found the one that his cousin would be using on his mission in Peru.
.JPG)
Here are the boy's helping the Sister missionary by holding
pictures of what the jail looked like before it was restored.
I didn't take any pictures of the actual jail. I kinda felt like it was such a special place that it was not appropriate to take pictures of it, even though they wouldn't have minded. If you even get the chance to visit, GO! It is so worth it!
3 comments:
Oh Diana, you sweet thing. I cannot even begin to imagine losing a child. I can't begin to think of living this life without my daughter or son. And though you know you will have the chance to raise Chandler in eternity-you still have to get through this life...which at times can feel like eternity! You are an amazing person, MOTHER, friend, etc., etc.
I really need to take my family to Liberty Jail, as often as we go down to KC, I am embarrassed that we haven't gone already!
What a beautiful family you have Diana! We want to go to Nauvoo again soon. It's one of my favorite places to visit. I always come back with such a peace and great feeling of love for Joseph Smith and those who sacrificed for the gospel.
I wanted to know what happened to Chandler so I went back and read her 10th bday post you wrote. And of course I cried. My friend who lost a baby just a few months before I did just celebrated his third birthday. I really hate having one missing. I am forever trying to count 4 kids. I look around to see who is missing and am surprised I only have 3. I am so sorry about your Chandler. I am sorry you have to miss her and have to wait to get to be with her. Nice to know she's waiting for you.
Post a Comment