Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Home Made Laundry.....

The older I get the more I can't believe how my mind changes. 10 years ago my ideas and perspective on things were so different than today. I'd like to believe that it comes with maturity but who knows. I never would of thought I would have considered homeschooling, I will more than likely never home school, but sometimes I wish I could and If things were different and I needed to, I would. I always thought my kids would have the same experiences as me when it comes to sleep overs, but w RARELY do them. We do a lot of late nighters but they don't actually sleep over. Lastly I NEVER would of thought that I would ever make my own laundry detergent, but today I did. My neighbor makes it and swears by it. Not only because of the cost savings but the effectiveness of getting out dirt. So today I went and bought the items I needed and walah! Home made laundry soap. Usually I buy a 32 load bottle for just about $5.00. that makes it roughly .15 cents a load. When you do roughly 3-4 loads a day that can add up and go fast. So here is the recipe for all of you who are now intrigued to make your own like I was.

Ingredients:
1 bar of soap (I got 3 pk bars for 1.12)
-I bought Ivory but a lot of recipes call for a soap called Zote, I haven't seen it but they say it is at wal-mart and in all fairness I didn't look
20 mule Borax ($3.33 for the box, I know it was cheaper at Wal mart but just bought it at super saver)
Arm and Hammer WASHING soda, (about 3.00 also at super saver this is not at wal mart and here in Omaha I haven't found it any other place )

1. Shave the soap and add to 6 cups of slow boiling water and stir until dissolved
2. Add to the water 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of Washing soda. Now different recipes say different things some do 1/2 cup and others do 1 1/2 cup so I just did 1 you can play around with it.
3. After it all dissolves add 4 cups of HOT water to the bucket that you will be holding the soap in. I bought a plastic container that will hold 32 cups of water cause that is how much you will have when its all done. And it came with a hinged lid on it.
4. Pour the soap mixture to the hot water and stir
5. Now finish by adding 22 cups of water to the mixture.
6. Stir and let sit for about 24 hours

It will be a gel mixture but everyone says that the mixture will separate so you just have to stir it before you scoop it.

Scoop 1/2 cup to your laundry

I am so excited to try it tomorrow and as you can see from the cost it was less than $10.00 and just the first batch gives me 64 loads and I still have 2 more bars of soap and the boxes of other stuff practically full. YAY for being cheap!
Wish me luck oh and here is a couple of websites that I found the information on.
http://www.3princessesmomma.com/2009/01/homemade-laundry-detergent/

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

11 comments:

Dawn said...

I have a couple of friends that have made this soap recipe and really liked it.

I love your new blog layout and header picture. Very cute, except, you aren't in it.??

Buckeye Nut said...

You'll have to update us on how it does, especially on your whites. I've been curious about homemade laundy soap since seeing it on TLC.

Hailey said...

Oh I so want to try this now!

Lizabeth said...

Thanks so much! I LOVE this idea so much I put a link to it from my blog. xoxo Lizabeth

Ida said...

Thanks for the link and the mention! We love our homemade laundry detergent. It works so well and I don't have to worry about what kind of chemicals are in our clothes now. I hope yours works out as well as ours did.

Mark and Jana said...

You are my hero.

The Howard Bolton Family said...

What an awesome Mom and wife you are. Good luck with the soap. Post how well it does. I know that there are a few of us who would like to hear your reactions about it.

Garrison Propaganda said...

ive never heard of making your own detergent. how long did it take to do? and im interested from a mom of 5 how well it really does get out stains/messes. if it works well, i think its definitely worth the try. im tired of treating, soaking, and rewwashing!

Ida said...

hey there... I need to email you something (see my most recent blog post!) please contact me at momma@3princessesmomma.com.

THANKS

Twinlinebackers said...

If you don't think it works well, tryfinding fels naptha. It costs more but I found it was much more effective than Ivory. I didn't try Zote.

Welcome to the world of being a freak. I've been here just over a year and love it.

Twinlinebackers said...

No, mine doesn't gel up well either. I don't add fragrance but you could easily add a couple drops of essential oil. Would help with antibacterial properties and smell so lovely.