Saturday, October 11, 2008

Happy 10th Birthday Chandler!



On October 11th 1998 our second child was born. She was due October 12th and after a few days of on again off again contractions I went to the hospital at 6pm on that Sunday night. We anticipated her arrival with great joy. We had our little boy and now a girl. Her room was ready, painted pink of course. Her closet was already filled with cute little dresses and shoes. I had made Rick redo her room so it was perfect. We had her name all picked out, Chandler Renee' McInelly. While laying in the hospital bed with my mother in law sitting next to me and Rick and the rest of my family sitting on the couches eating McDonalds, I noticed that while my water had broke my contractions were not getting any harder. As the nurse was coming in with the poticin to get them going my mother in law noticed that Chandlers heart rate was down in the 90's. She asked the nurse if anyone realized how low the heart rate was. The answer was that they (meaning the other nurses and resident on staff) were watching at the front desk and if anything was wrong they would see. No sooner did she say that then the resident come in and kick everyone out. As she tried to get Chandlers heart rate up, it dropped again into the 40's. She made the quick call to have an emergency c-section. From the time they made the call to the time she was born was a quick 7 min. I was knocked out because I had not had an epidural yet and when I awoke 2 hours later, my sweet husband was next to me in the recovery room trying to explain to me what had happened while I was asleep.
I only go over these events now because it has been 10 years! 10 YEARS! I remember those events like it was yesterday. This single event changed my whole life. She was put on life support until I was able to wake up and hold her. I never heard her cry. I never got to see her eyes. I only got to hold her and love on her for a small amount of time. She was 8 lbs. 15 oz. And had a head of dark blond hair. As we have added kids to the family she and Ian looked the most alike, though there were times that Parker's baby pictures were identical to hers. They were never able to give me any reasons for her short life. No answers to why. Only the faith that we have knowing that she came and received her body and that her mission was done. Her short life touched many and still touches people as I share her with others.
I have no problem talking about her or showing off her pictures, though they are sad pictures to look at. I want people to see her, to know she lived. I want people to acknowledge her life no matter how short it was. She is and always will be a huge part of our family. Her picture hangs on the wall with the others. She is our angel baby, that gives us another reason to strive to return to our Father in Heaven. She needs us to be worthy to raise her and I want to raise her. I long for the morning of the first resurrection that I will be able to hold her and this time she will be able to look at me and I will see if her eyes are blue like her brothers or green like her dads.
I write all this because its all I have of her. It's all I get, once a year we buy flowers and balloons for her grave instead of polly pockets, webkinz and baby dolls. Thank goodness for the knowledge that our family has of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It gives us hope and peace. It fills the hole in my heart that is empty because my family isn't complete right now. But some day it will be, I just have to be patient, and some days its really hard.
Thank you to all my friends who over the years have been their for me. Evan after 10 years, they still remember her. Thank You!!!

10 comments:

Julie said...

Diana, what a sweet tribute to your daughter and to your eternal family. I remember when I got this news and my heart broke for you as one of my Laurels. I had a hard time envisioning you as a mom then, mostly I thought of you as a teenager having to deal with something very grown up.
But as I reconnected with you and see your adorable boys and you as a MOM, I have thought about Chandler's passing more than once and Mom to Mom what that must be like for you. I have tears in my eyes as I read your tribute today. All of those Eternal Marriage lessons mean more now, than ever. I am proud of you and the mom you are. You inspire me to want to do better! I am so glad we have reconnected!

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday Chandler:) I never met you, but I'm awed and amazed at the family you have, and I know how much you're loved.

Anne said...

Diana,

My thoughts are with you on this day as you and your family remember Chandler. Happy Birthday Chandler!

Hilary said...

Oh, Diana... what a beautiful baby. My heart hurts for you, but I'm impressed by your testimony and strength.

Anderson said...

I too remember, quite vividly, when I heard about Chandler. It was kind of bittersweet for me when I found out that I was pregnant with Mackenzie a couple of weeks later but I have always been amazed how open and how willing you are in sharing her and your story with everyone else. It always amazes me also how tragedy in our life brings many blessings to us and our families in ways we never imagined also through other people or to other people by sharing your story.
Thank you for sharing your courage and strength!

Merrillsmadhouse said...

Ten years and I too remember where I was when I learned that we had a change in plans, a change or shall I say a gift...a personal reminder that we have much to do in this life for the blessings that have been promised us. Oct. 11th will always be a time to take a moment and reevaluate the things we do and the things we say...to put our lives in check and take nothing for granted. We were blessed to have our Chandler for just a moment but her short time here is a reminder for a lifetime. I look forward to the day when I get to thank her for her gift to me.
Love you, miss Chandler
Your Aunt Wendy

Mark and Jana said...

Very Very touching Diana! I'll never forget the phone call telling me Chandler didn't make it. I'll always regret that I didn't hear the phone ring that night telling me the news. I would have loved to meet her and to have held her. I know as well as you do, that day will come. I will always remember her. She is lucky to have you and Rick as her parents.

Brezack Family said...

Diana, I remember on Oct 12th comming to visit you in your L&D room on the second floor at BMMC. As I stood outside your door in my scrubs, I looked at the white rose attatched to your door and knew the meaning of it. It represented an eternal family. Something special was behind that door...an amazing family with the knowledge of the Plan of Happiness. How I wish every family who has ever had a white rose on their door, knew the meaning you and your family have of eternity.
I think of you often. You have given me the gift of what Families are Forever represents, in that hospital of mine.
Love you much
Jill

Garrison Propaganda said...

what a beautiful post. you truly are such an example of a woman with great strength, faith, and a testimony of the restored gospel. i love your tribute, and your ability to share your experience with others. i never got to thank you for helping me with my first lesson. what you had to say was amazing and inspiring. your daughter (and sons) are truly blessed to have such a wonderful mother.

Michele said...

Only a moment or two after reading your tribute today I received a knock at my door. The sister missionaries were in the neighborhood and wanted to share a message with me. As they spoke of the plan of salvation, I felt a sweet confirmation that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true, and that the plan of salvation is real. After the missionaries left my home I went back to the computer and continued to read your beautiful tribute to your beautiful daughter. I felt this same feeling--a confirmation that families are forever, and that you will be with Chandler again someday. Thank you for sharing your testimony. Thank you for being such a wonderful mom. Thank you for sharing Chandler's photographs and for sharing her life with me.